gnome/gmc web links

Hi, I used to use RedHat and Helix Gnome before switching to Debian. In  my RH/Helix environment I could drag a web link from mozilla or netscape  onto the desktop to create a handy internet link that would bring up  netscape when I double-clicked on it and load the referenced page. Since  switching to Debian this no longer works, now when I drag a web link  onto the desktop it just creates a file with a really strange name like  urloZDShW or something. Does anyone know what configuration I have to do  to get gnome to create the handy web links for me? I am now using Debian  Gnome, not Helix Gnome. Thanks. -Jeff