Problems with gnome-core(newbie)

I am trying to compile gnome-core 1.2.4.  during configure I receive this
message.

checking for CApplet library... configure: error: Did not find CApplet
library

however earlier in the configure output I see that capplet is found.

checking extra library
"capplet"... -lcapplet -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -ljpeg -ltiff -lungi
f -lpng -lz -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lXext -lX11 -lnsl -lgnome -lgn
omesupport -lesd -lrt -laudiofile -ldb -lORBitCosNaming -lORBit -lIIOP -lORB
itutil -lglib -lresolv -lsocket -lm -lgnorba

also control-center seem to compile and install correctly.

what am i doing incorrectly?  any help will be grealty appreciated.