UnTaring files

Hi,

I am a confessed nubie to Linux using RedHat 6.2.  I am having a hard time
installing (configure/make/make install) tarred files.  They seem to
configure, make and make install just fine (according to the README and
Install files) but I can't seem to make the executables work .... I have
tried with Balsa (an e-mail program), firestarter (a firewall) and with
sawfish.  With the same results ..... how to I make these programs run!!
I am getting desperate here.

John Ellertson