Re: GNOME restarts when switching desktops

Paul E Johnson wrote:

> Maybe we are not understanding one another. A desktop is a window
> manager construct, not a Gnome construct. If you run a Gnome compliant
> window manager, you can have as many desktops as you want.  I run Gnome
> with several desktops under the Window Maker window manager. All is
> fine. No problem with gnome's panel or other apps crashing.  Ive never
> heard anyone say that Gnome does not support multiple desktops before.
>
> I just tried Xfree85 4.0.1 on RH7 and while running it several of my
> applications "vanish" (crash without an error) when I change desktops or
> type in certain keystrokes. One of the apps that dies is GMC, the others
> are Netscape and Applixware.  I bet that the problem you are
> experiencing is X Server related, or window manager related, not caused
> by Gnome
>
> > On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 06:55:36AM -0500, Bruce W. Bigby wrote:
> >  There has been some days from now that I'm experiencing a quite strange behaviour when using
> GNOME: when I have more than one desktop and have more than one program
> running on different desktops, GNOME crashes (without any log) when
> switching desktops! I've replicated this many times.

I thoughtt that I replied to this.  Forget what I said before.  Multiple
desktops should work fine. Perhaps, you should update to Helixcode
GNOME.  I think that I recall having such problems, also, with the
original GNOME 1.2.  It's been a while.
--
Bruce W. Bigby
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbyofrocny