Re: Installing X, Gnome, and Enlightenment in RH6.2...from scratch (read: *trying* to).

""Michael V. Ferranti" <blades@inreach.com>" wrote:

> I'm having problems with my "server assigned DNS" ISP, and now have to
> run a server, rather than a workstation installation, and sue me, but I
> like my Gnome.  Problem is, I tried installing X, Gnome, and =
> Enlightenment,
> but she hangs trying to get the font server up.  Guess I'm missing an RPM
> or two - thought RPM's dependencies would catch it.

Some questions:

* How are the two problems related?  Is it that you have to run a
caching nameserver?

* I have the same setup as you, and have not had any problems with
anything.  That said, things can obviously be highly configuration
dependent.  As such, monitoring of error messages is critical.  When
xfs (X Font Server) dies, what does it scream during its death
throws?  These wails should show up in "/var/log/messages" or the
like.

Okay, say that xfs doesn't say anything.  I would recommend the
following for some simple first steps:

1.  ctl-alt-f1 or whatever to a text console; in case X crashes, you
can still figure out what xfs is doing.

2.  Log in as root, or some other user with sufficient privilege.

3.  Run "xfs -droppriv 2>&1" ... the "-droppriv" switch has xfs run
as user "xfs";  this may protect against a generalized hang. The
stderror redirection to stdout is in case xfs gets cute with where
it dumps its error messages (check "/etc/X11/fs/config").

4.  Try to decipher any messages you might get.

BTW, I am far from an X guru -- these are the steps I take whenever
*any* server daemon is misbehaving, just from a common sense
standpoint.  Good luck.

Regards,

Sourav Mandal

Sourav K. Mandal

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Physics
http://web.mit.edu/smandal/www/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"