Sound Problem

I've read on the list posts about trouble with sound. I've a similar
problem, but a little different.

For every window that appears during startup a sound is played,
sometimes this stops and from that point on gnome is silent. But
playing sounds through esdplay and esddsp works without problems.
Playing a file trough xmms with esd output works, but when the file is
played and xmms wants to go to the next song it terminates.

Playing a wav from within control-center/sound works, but when i click
again on a wav file before the first one is finished playing, sound
doesn't work anymore.

The message i get in the log file is:
Gnome-WARNING **: error caching sample <-1>!

I use esound 0.2.18 and alsa 0.5.7.

Btw. when i use xmms with oss output, sound works although esd is
     loaded too. The only problem is that when a song starts playing
     i get a lot of noise, but this goes away after a few seconds.

Does someone know what the problem is?

TIA.

Paul