Re: dialing but no audio using RH dialer in gnome

"Dan <dan.kortschak@adelaide.edu.au>" wrote:

> When I dial my ISP I can't hear what is going on (I have heard the dialer
> once, but only once). What is going on and how can I fix it? I find it really
> disconcerting not being able to hear what's going on since my ISP (provided b
> work -> below) is really flakey.

The rp3 applet preferences should allow you to set the dial
properties.  In it, it allows you to check whether or not to
activate volume control, and then what the volume should be (after
authenticating to root).

Also, as root, you may peruse your "/etc/wvdial.conf" -- a relevant
excerpt:

  SetVolume = 1
  Init4 = ATM0

The first key, when set to one, instructs wvdial to manipulate the
modem volume settings per later commands.  The second key is just
one of the commands sent to the modem before dialing (I think any
"Init{whole #}" is a permissable key).  The volume commands are
(from "http://www.option.com/support/hayesat.htm"):

  M0 Speaker always off

  M1 Speaker on until carrier detected

  M2 Speaker always on

  M3 Speaker on only while answering

If you wish to have wvdial control the volume, leave the "SetVolume"
key as is.  If wvdial is sending an "ATM0" you may want to change it
to an "ATM1" to attain the desired effect.

Good luck.

Regards,

Sourav Mandal

PS:  Does anyone have any magic to offer from my earlier post
concerning vCard and vCalendar incompatibilities in gnome-pim?
Thanks ....

Sourav K. Mandal

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Physics
http://web.mit.edu/smandal/www/

"In enforcing a truth we need severity rather than
efflorescence of language. We must be simple,
precise, terse."

                      -- Edgar Allan Poe,
                        "The Poetic Principle"