Re: Dingus clicking requires Gnome restart to understand new settings

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 02:32:33AM -0500 or thereabouts, Jason Leach wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 02:58:29PM +0800, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> > Hi, I too instructions from Telsa Gywnne and modiffied dingus clicking
> > to use Lynx instead of netscape. However, it seems that the change is
> > visible only if I restart Gnome (ie logout and restart X Windows)
> >
> > When I made the changes, I saw them in ~/.gnome/Gnome and I thought that
> > it would work for new gnome-terminals which used zvt but it didn't do so
> >
> > Is this appropiate behaviour ?
>
> I'd guess that you already had a terminal opened (that you were
> viewing ~/.gnome/Gnome with), and if you open your terminals from
> launchers or the foot menu or so, then it gets started with the
> command line
>
>      gnome-terminal --use-factory --start-factory-server
>
> which means that the "new" gnome-terminal window you got was actually
> still running in the pid/proccess of the old one, so it was still
> using the old values. (btw, its gnome-terminal that is calling
> gnome_url_show, and gnome_url_show that is reading in your
> ~/.gnome/Gnome, no zvt here).

This is probably my fault: I referred to zvt (where I think the
hooks live) in the url I pasted. I shall change that page. I had
forgotten that when I first experimented with this, it would only
work on terminals which I started after changing things. It wouldn't
work on terminals which were already running. This is before these
--start-factory-server and --use-factory things were around, so
I expect they're adding to the fun, yes.

> Plus, gnome_config_* caches queries, so your change might not have
> been accessible immediately.  GConf should cover this issue better.
>
> So, it seems normal, maybe not "appropriate", but you only had to do
> it once right?  Not too harmful/annoying...

It could be a pest if you were experimenting with different sets of
settings, I suppose... I went through about five trying to work out
the syntax, come to think of it.

But it worked in the end, right? :) Cool!

Telsa