Re: desktop icons (gmc)

Hi,
I posted the issue in de.alt.comp.gnome. From
there I got the following reply:

CONVERT-METADATA.DB(1)      Debian/GNU
CONVERT-METADATA.DB(1)

NAME
       convert-metadata.db - convert the
GNOME metadata.db file
       from DB version 1.85 to DB 2

SYNOPSIS
       convert-metadata.db [--all|-a]
[--verbose|-v] [--no|-n]

DESCRIPTION
       The libc used in Debian 2.1 used the
DB library version
       1.85. The libc in Debian 2.2 uses th
DB library version 2.

       The files used by these versions are
not compatible.

       GMC used the DB functions to create
the file
       ~/.gnome/metadata.db to handle desktop
links et al.

       So this file has to be recreated,
otherwise, the links use
       the standard icon, they can not be
changed, and new icons
       can not be created.

       Calling convert-metadata.db will
convert the file if
       necessary, a backup copy is preserved
with the suffix
       .dbconvert-backup.

Der aktive Teil ist der Aufruf von db_dump185
und db_load, um die
die Datei neu zu generieren. Alternativ
kannst du auch die metadata.db
löschen, dann verlierst du natürlih die Icons
und so.

Basically, you use db_dump185 to write the
metadata.db to a file and then recreate the
metadata.db new from the file by the command
db_load. I went the rough way (I do not have many
icons, links and so on on the desktop) and
moved metadata.db to metadata.db.org. Then
restarted gnome, the desktop showed the standard
icons. I changed the icons and the placement of
the icons and all is fine now.

Klaus

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:31:03 Klaus Dahlke
wrote:
> I posted the problem a few weeks before.
It
> is
> really weird and I do believe it has
> something to do with SuSE. Even if I
> deinstall gmc and
> mc (4.5.40) from SuSE 6.3 and install gmc
> >from tarball (4.5.50) I cannot change the
> desktop
>  icons, all are folders. If I install then
> gmc/mc 4.5.40 from SuSE 6.3 the icons I
had
> before are shown again (where is the icon
> information stored?) and the icons can be
> changed
> again.
>
> I have also a RH6.1 on my PC. I upgradet
gmc
> also for RH. No Problem at all, icons can
be