Re: make gnome listen on localhost:*

-> I don't care what hardware/OS you're running, with the onset of 'always
-> on' technologies (*DSL), you're going to have to run some kind of
-> firewall, whether you're a geek or not.

	To be perfectly clear: I do not contest that firewalls are an
absolute necessity.

	I do not believe that using Unix sockets (or turning off network
services) is a replacement for real security.

	However, regardless of how we think a network should be set up, we
should do our best to make Gnome as secure as possible.  Using Unix
sockets greatly reduces the possibly of a remote exploit; therefor, it
should be the default.

	To say, "We don't need to make Gnome secure because security
should be left up to the firewall" is absurd.

--Derek

P.S.> Not that it matters to the discussion, but when an ORBit exploit is
found, I would not want attacks limited to people inside my firewall.  In
many University computer labs/libraries/gov't agencies, there are
terminals available to walk up customers.  We should not assume that every
Linux box running ORBit will have good ipchains configurations.

P.P.S.> Firewalls are cracked (or more likely, misconfigured) all the
time.