gnome-utils configure can't find libext2fs

Hi
I am trying to build the gnome-utils tarball and configure keeps saying
the following :

checking for ext2fs_mkdir in -lext2fs... no
configure: error:
*** libext2fs not found. You need e2fsprogs and e2fsprogs-devel installed.
configure: error: ./configure failed for gfloppy

I'm pretty sure I had these tools already, but I grabbed them again just
to be sure, and I still get the same message. Is there a way to tell
configure where e2fsprogs are? Or to exclude gfloppy from the build? (I
tried "--without-gfloppy", "--disable-gfloppy"...nothing works

Thanks
James