Re: Can't change Desktop Icons

Hi Daniel,

I had a similiar problem when updating gmc from 4.5.45 to 4.5.51. The
problematic file is ~/.gnome/metadata.db. Either you convert the file via db_dump and
db_load or in case of just a few icons on the desktop you might delete/rename
metadata.db. After the next start of gnome the deafult icons are shown  and can now
be changed.

Klaus
On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:44:31 Daniel Lyddy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using gnome-core 1.2.1, gnome-libs 1.2.3, and gmc/mc-4.5.51.  I am
> also using the Sawmill Window Manager, version 0.26.  Normally a user
> gets icons on the desktop that can be used to mount/access a removable
> drive, check a printer queue, or open the home directory.  You are
> supposed to be able to right-click on any of these icons, scroll down to
> "Properties," click on the "Options" tab, and choose an appropriate icon
> for the device/directory (i.e. a picture of a Home for the home
> directory, or a picture of a Zip or Jaz drive for either of those
> devices).
>
> On my system, it's possible to do all this, but after I select the icon,
> it shows up in the icon window on the "Options" tab.  However, when I
> then click "OK", the desktop icon does not change the way it is supposed
> to.  Furthermore, if root user even attempts to scroll down to the
> "Properties" dialog for these desktop icons, gmc crashes with a
> segmentation fault.
>
> I know that for application launchers, icon information is stored in
> .desktop files.  However, for symlinks and directories on the desktop,
> there are no such files.  All I have in my ~/.gnome-desktop are a bunch
> of symlinks to directories/devices that should be visible on the
> desktop.  Where is icon information stored for these symlinks?  If I
> could find that file, I might be able to figure out why gmc is behaving
> so strangely on my system.
>
> Dan
> --
> Daniel Lyddy		daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
> California PATH/UC Berkeley Vision Group
> Richmond Field Station, Building 452
> 1357 S. 46th St, Richmond, CA 94804-4698
> tel: +1 (510) 231-5659  fax: +1 (510) 231-5600
> url: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daniell
> begin:vcard
> n:Lyddy;Daniel
> tel;fax:(+1) 510-231-5600
> tel;work:(+1) 510-231-5659
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> url:http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daniell
> org:UC-Berkeley/California PATH;ViVE Lab/ATMIS Group
> version:2.1
> email;internet:daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
> title:MSEE
> adr;quoted-printable:;;Richmond Field Station=0D=0ABuilding 452=0D=0A1357 S.
46th St;Richmond;CA;94804-4698;USA