recently used documents

Right now it seems to me that each application keeps track of its own
most recently used documents.  Lately I've been working on a project
that involves both AbiWord and Gnumeric documents.  I'd like to see a
global most recently used documents menu on my panel somewhere.  Then
I wouldn't have to go rooting around for my project all the time.

Right now I do this by starting (eg) Gnumeric and then selecting my
file from its File menu.  But this seems backward to me -- I don't
care about the application as much as I care about my particular
document.  That is, the current panel menu is application-centric,
whereas I want it to focus more on my documents.

Tom