Re: RH Gnome Sucks ?

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 02:52:50PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Paul Warren <pdw@ex-parrot.com> writes:
> > IIRC, RH released 6.0 (or was it 6.1) just before October Gnome, which
> > was by any measure a massive improvement on what was being shipped with
> > RH.
>
> Of course, Elliot Lee at Red Hat was either the largest or one of the
> largest workers behind the October GNOME release. It was simply
> unfortunate timing that October GNOME was released after our Red Hat
> release, it's hardly a reason to criticize us, since we can't get
> October GNOME before it's available.

Oh, absolutely - I'm not criticising.

> (Of course if we _did_ get October GNOME in the release we'd hear from
> the "GNOME releases are controlled by Red Hat" conspiracy theorists
> ;-)

You do understand, of course, that you can never win... :-)

> But this is just my point from earlier: we've always released the best
> stable version of GNOME available at release time,

Indeed - I *would* be criticising if RedHat had packaged up bleeding
edge CVS code into a release.

> so I don't see how
> Miguel can criticize unless he's criticizing GNOME itself, and then I
> don't see why he's going out of his way mention Red Hat. (And I don't
> see the point in general - "GNOME in September 1999 sucked more than
> GNOME today" - big insight there.)

``If you are thinking that GNOME sucks, however, it's probably "because
you are using Red Hat's version."''

I dunno if that's a criticism of Red Hat, or merely an explanation...

Look at it this way:  In the same speech he declared that UNIX sucks,
so if Red Hat "sucks" in the same way as UNIX does, I don't think that's
necessarily a bad thing :-)

Paul