Re: email and newsreaders

On 14 Jul, Tobias Weber wrote:
> Hi,
> As I'm currently in the process of switching to linux I did some
> "research", too. Here is a list of features I found important,
> numbers indicate that the program does NOT support it:
>
> 1 Copy text from the message reader to the clipboard
> 2 Mark Messages unread
> 3 Copy Mails between Folders
> 4 Address Book
> 5 Imap
> 6 Sorting
> 7 PGP
>
> netscape 7
> kmail 5 (4 is very primitive)
> balsa 1 2 3 6 7 (4 uses GnomeCard, very good!)
> mahogany 2 6 7 (5 is supported, but never worked here)
> pronto 1 5 (Address book is not that good)
> postilion 3 (This is offspring of TkRat)
> tkrat 3 (very stable and feature complete. My Choice)

Tobias, I too have been using TkRat for some time now (is it years
already???).

Although copying between folders is not directly supported, I do the
following:

    Move the mail to the new folder
    Undelete the mail in the original folder

For non-ratters, this works because moving is actually a "copy and
flag for deletion" rather than a move.

If I was ambitious, I'd write a little tcl proc to handle it, but I've
got too many other fish frying. ;-)

If you're concerned about inline images and HTML, even though TkRat is
basically a text-only client, you can add the tkhtml widget and TkRat
will use it. Likewise with the image extensions (although they are
already included in Tcl/Tk 8.3)

Also, mouse scrolling works just fine using the techniques found on
http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

Regards,

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

Time flies like the wind--fruit flies like a banana.