nasty X crash......

Well, I had a crash in Gnome. I had bunch of apps runing, and than all
froze.
I couldn't get to the console, nothing, keyboard was dead... I had to
hit restart button.
Then, after booting, since I had Linux boot strait to X, I got black
screen that
was flickering. After booting from rescue floppy and setting not to
boot strait to
X, I found that there is problem with fonts server.
After typing "startx", I get flickering, and then error that it
coulnd't find default font.
During reboot, during shutting down all servers, I get beside "XFont
server" "[FAILED]".

So, I'm stuck..any help?
It is off topic for this list, but since crash was in GNOME....:-)

Nikola