Re: email and newsreaders

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:30:47 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > I currently use Netscape Messanger as my news and email program. I've
 > noticed that there seems to be a rather large number of these types of
 > programs for the GNOME. Is there any compelling reason for me to
 > switch to one of them?
 >
 > Is it just that Netscape is not GNOME compliant, but these apps are? Or
 > are they fundamenrtally better on a deeper level?
 >
 > Just curious...this is not an urgent message.

It seems that Pan is the Cadillac of GNOME newsreaders though others
maybe worth trying again by now.  In any case you may want to try it
just because it does a number of things better than Netscape
(particularly in the area of downloading binaries).

The advantages of using a GNOME compliant program here are the same as
for any program.  The way I see it, integration with the desktop is
just more complete.  The look and feel is more consistent between
GNOME programs making the learning curve easier.  In many cases,
drag'n'drop between applications or between the desktop and
applications is implemented.  For instance, you can often drag a text
file from GMC and drop it in your editor.  This inserts the text into
the editor (this doesn't work with Pan's message editor, yet but try
it with gedit).  There will be even more possibilities when bonobo is
ready.  This may, for instance, allow you to embed a Gnumeric
spreadsheet into a news or mail message.  Netscape will probably never
have this kind of complete interaction with other GNOME programs.

Tom
--
Quote of the day for July 12th, 2000
God loved the birds and invented trees.  Man loved the birds and invented