Re: X annoyance

On  8 Jul, needles@industrialmusic.com wrote:
> Hey,
>  This might be a X windows thing but something that has bothered
> me with Linux is after I setup X windows with several different
> resolutions like 1280x1024 or 800x600, then I do a startx
> it always sets my desktop to the highest resolution like 1280x1024 but
> the display is at the lowest resolution 800x600. So after booting
> into X, I have to do Ctrl-Alt - or Ctrl-Alt + to get things to match up.
> What I would like is that when I adjust the resolution, that the desktop
> uses the same resolution. I've talked to other people who have had
> the same problems. I'm not sure if it's a desktop or an X issue.
> I just joined this mailing list and I'm not sure if this has been
> discussed.

Kerry,

While you can't get X to change the desktop size to match the current
display resolution on the fly, you *can* get X to start with your
preferred resolution.

Assuming you're using XFree86, your display subsections in XF86Config
should look something like this:

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     1024 768
        #Invert_VCLK "1024x768" 1
        #Blank_Delay "1024x768" 1 7
    EndSubsection

X defaults to placing the lowest resolution first when creating an
XF86Config, but that doesn't help when you want to use the highest
resolution.

Ideally, your Modes line should be identical for all Depths, otherwise
you can drive yourself crazy.

Hope this answers your question. At least, it answers the questions I
*think* you asked . . . <g>

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

First rule of intelligent tinkering: save all the parts.