Re: X annoyance

"needles@industrialmusic.com" wrote:

> Hey,
>  This might be a X windows thing but something that has bothered
> me with Linux is after I setup X windows with several different
> resolutions like 1280x1024 or 800x600, then I do a startx
> it always sets my desktop to the highest resolution like 1280x1024 but
> the display is at the lowest resolution 800x600. So after booting
> into X, I have to do Ctrl-Alt - or Ctrl-Alt + to get things to match up.
> What I would like is that when I adjust the resolution, that the desktop
> uses the same resolution. I've talked to other people who have had
> the same problems. I'm not sure if it's a desktop or an X issue.
> I just joined this mailing list and I'm not sure if this has been
> discussed.

You have to start X with the options for the screen resolution.  The
problem is, since this is dependent on what version of X and what login
manager you are using, I can't tell you how to do this... ~,^  Read the
docs on your version of XFree86 (should be in /usr/doc) and then the docs
for your login manager (most likely KDM or GDM).  Or pester someone to make
a nice configuration program for this, since there isn't any and there
really should be.  ^,^

Also, I believe that if you restart your window manager, your desktops will
match the screen res.  I 'believe.'  It depends on how X handles things,
and that I'm not all to sure about.  I believe it is the Window manager
that sets your desktop size though... Since no Windows Manager I know of
automatically resizes your desktop when X changes resolution, you have to
restart the window manager yourself.  Which brings me to another issue
dealing with WM's, I'm gonna have to go see if I can get Sawfish to do this
for me... ~,^

BTW, if I'm wrong on any of this, it's not my fault, I've had way too many
Surges today and I'm overly hyper.  ^,^

Sean Etc.