Re: deleted files...

>I was wondering what happens to files in linux when you delete them.  I know

They are deleted! ;]

in
>windows they go to the trash and then you empty it... but you can still get
them
>back with certain programs.  Is there a program in linux that will try to
>recover deleted files??  Also is there any program that defrags the drive
or finds
>unnecessary files etc...

Linux current filesystem does not need defrag (normally, but there is a tool
if you want). On the other hand, there are project to have the thrash
feature, so you could get you files back... but not currently.

There has been some talk in the GNOME-GUI list about trash bins and such,
and it seem that some kind will be implemented (OS independant, I suppose).

GSR