XWindows locks solid - Gnome?

Hello folks,

  I'm being driven to despair - after using XWindows for a while it just locks up completely and I think it might be Gnome. I'm posting this here in case anyone has encountered anything similar and can help...
  I'm happily Gnoming away when suddenly the mouse refuses to focus windows - then I can't change virtual displays - then I can't type in Eterm - then the keyboard seems to lock completely so that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does nothing - then even the caps lock key refuses to work - and finally even the mouse locks up and stops moving. It's like watching it crash in slow motion. What's wierd is that GKrellM keeps on ticking away, showing no CPU usage, and if I'm downloading something it will keep on downloading happily. I thought it might be Enlightenment so I switched to Sawfish with zero effect.
  I've tried removing other programs that might be causing it, but even with just the Gnome pager and an Eterm going it happens eventually - it just takes longer.
  It happened occasionally before I upgraded to XFree86 4.0 a few weeks ago but today it's got to the point where I can't keep the damned machine up for more than twenty minutes before it locks up and forces me to reach for the reset button (horror!). I'm using Gnome 1.2 and I can't think anything else can be causing it - can someone help please??

           Andrew
--
Andrew Williams  Andrew@nightshade.demon.co.uk