Re: XWindows locks solid - Gnome?

In message <20000701192611.A130@nightshade.demon.co.uk>, Andrew
Williams writes
:
> Hello folks,

[snip]

>   It happened occasionally before I upgraded to XFree86 4.0 a few weeks ago b
>ut today it's got to the point where I can't keep the damned machine
up for mo
>re than twenty minutes before it locks up and forces me to reach for
the reset
> button (horror!). I'm using Gnome 1.2 and I can't think anything else can be
>causing it - can someone help please??

My guess is bugs in the X server. I have had problems with the
XF86_SVGA server with my Matrox Mill II locking up after killing and
restarting the server via xdm. This doesn't happen if I *don't* kill
the server. I suspect v 4.0 is too buggy as Red Hat hasen't released
RPMS of it yet.

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@inreach.com             |
| [Concerning MSFT innovating their way out of a wet paper bag.] |
| "Maybe if it were a very very wet paper bag, but then they'd   |
| face the insurmountable barrier of surface tension."           |
| -- Geoffrey Tobin <G.Tobin@latrobe.edu.au>                     |