Re: Running Gnome terminal/xterm

Ali Abdin wrote:

> First of all, check your /etc/passwd - make sure your shell is something
> like /usr/bin/bash or something like that (i.e. not just 'bash' or
> 'bash2'). Secondly, hmmm - make sure its world executable i think. This may
> or may not be your problem

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. The shell is properly set to
/bin/bash and xterm is world executable. Besides, I can see the
xterm window flash shortly, but it instantly closes again.
And all that wouldn't explain why gnome-terminal doesn't want
to work, but I suspect it's a related problem, as I can start
both programs as root.

Any other ideas?

Jens