RE: automount

I've done more test to understand how are the shortcuts on my desktop
created.
I should maybe remind that my problem is that when I mount a cdrom under
gnome (rh6.1) two unwanted links appears on my desktop. I'm arrived to
the conclusion that a program (a deamon) look periodically in the
/etc/mtab file to see if a new device is mounted. After some test, I
think than this deamon is MAGICDEV.
Is this software a RedHat one or a gnome software?
I've configurate it (cd properties in the gnome control center) to not
automaticaly mount cdrom but when I mount the cdrom the shortcuts are
created. I can disable magicdev but I find the automount stuff a good
stuff.
Is there a simple and good way to disable the links creation?

Thank you,
Christophe ...