Re: gnome over a network

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org> writes:
>
> > Alternately, trying to find the Gnome server from the $DISPLAY value
> > could help (but I understand that for security reasons apps may not be able
> > to conect the given Gnome services).
>
> Gnome apps are supposed to be getting the IOR of the name service from
> a property on the root window, then establishing a potentially
> over-the-network CORBA connection to the name service. If it doesn't
> work then it's just a bug of some kind (especially if you're getting
> the horrible error messages you quoted instead of something sensible).

I get this message in a very simple way: run a typical X server on my
Windows box, and, via a telnet session with the DISPLAY variable set
back to the Windows box, try and run, say, gnomecc.

CORBA is remotable: it should talk to the CORBA server back on the Linux
box, not try to find it on my Windows box.  Looking for root window
properties won't work, since I'm not running a full login session, much
less a full GNOME login session.
--
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m