Re: gnome over a network

Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org> writes:
> I assert that Gnome applications should be able to work even if they
> can't find the corba services associated to usual Gnome sessions (locally
> or remote). This may imply a "degraded mode" i.e. no docking nor fancy
> features but Gnome applications are primarily X-Window apps.

Well CORBA working is basically a requirement for much of gnome 1.0
and nearly all of 2.0. If it isn't working the whole desktop just
falls apart.

> Alternately, trying to find the Gnome server from the $DISPLAY value
> could help (but I understand that for security reasons apps may not be able
> to conect the given Gnome services).

Gnome apps are supposed to be getting the IOR of the name service from
a property on the root window, then establishing a potentially
over-the-network CORBA connection to the name service. If it doesn't
work then it's just a bug of some kind (especially if you're getting
the horrible error messages you quoted instead of something sensible).

Elliot might be able to point at some stuff to try to narrow down the
problem.

Havoc