Re: gnome over a network

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Warren Young wrote:

> I get this message in a very simple way: run a typical X server on my
> Windows box, and, via a telnet session with the DISPLAY variable set
> back to the Windows box, try and run, say, gnomecc.
>
> CORBA is remotable: it should talk to the CORBA server back on the Linux
> box, not try to find it on my Windows box.  Looking for root window
> properties won't work, since I'm not running a full login session, much
> less a full GNOME login session.

Looking for root window properties will work fine - they have nothing to
do with a login session. As long as you have a valid $DISPLAY, and either
gnome-name-service running somewhere or on $PATH local to the application,
things should "just work".

If you are running a gnome session locally, and run a CORBA-using GNOME
app via ssh on a remote machine without direct network connectivity, there
will be problems.

-- Elliot
It is easier to turn excellent functionality into excellent appearance
than excellent appearance into excellent functionality.