Re: gnome over a network

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 05:03:40PM -0600, tshanno@orion.it.luc.edu wrote:
> I have been trying to run several gnome programs over the network on my
> laptop.  Basically, what I have been doing is starting X on the laptop,
> telneting to my desktop in an xterm, setting the DISPLAY variable to
> the display on my laptop and starting the program in question (lets say
> gnomecard).
>
> This works nearly all the time with other programs (such as netscape)
> but has been crashing with most gnome programs with the message:
>
> ---------------
> ** WARNING **: Could not get name service!
>
> ** WARNING **: Could not get name service!
>
> ** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 1226 (goad_server_register): assertion failed: (name_server != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
> aborting...
> Aborted (core dumped)
> --------------

  yep, same problem here. To give a bit more details:

I am logged onto my desktop machine, in a gnome environment
I ssh to my laptop, this include X11 forwarding
Trying to run gmc on the laptop fails:

~ -> gmc

** WARNING **: Could not get name service!

** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 659 (real_goad_server_activate): assertion failed: (name_service != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
aborting...
Aborted
~ ->

but xmcd does work through the X11 pipe without troubles.

I assert that Gnome applications should be able to work even if they
can't find the corba services associated to usual Gnome sessions (locally
or remote). This may imply a "degraded mode" i.e. no docking nor fancy
features but Gnome applications are primarily X-Window apps.

Alternately, trying to find the Gnome server from the $DISPLAY value
could help (but I understand that for security reasons apps may not be able
to conect the given Gnome services).

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW