Re: Sort-of Announce: Gnet, a network library

> Ummm calling fork() to do a gethostbyname instead of rewwriting
> gethostbyname to operate asynchronously is dirty and slow...
>
> And it is still worse if this is in a library and that this library
> is used in some *big* program...
>
> Do you remember that fork() does a copy of the *entire* calling process ?
> How can you think of doing such a thing that way ????

how about vfork.  This won't copy the entire process.  On linux vfork

and fork are one and the same but I'm sure on other platforms they are

not.  This way you aren't copying the entire process.

It all happened during the magical summer of 1985.  A maturing Joe
Piscopo left `Saturday Night Live' to conquer Hollywood; People
Express introduced a generation of hicks to plane travel; and I was
in a barbershop quartet.

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Homer's Barbershop Quartet