Re: Sort-of Announce: Gnet, a network library

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Mike Palczewski wrote:
> how about vfork.  This won't copy the entire process.  On linux vfork
> and fork are one and the same but I'm sure on other platforms they are
> not.  This way you aren't copying the entire process.

According to the Linux man page on vfork:

       vfork()  differs from fork in that the parent is suspended
       until the child makes a call  to  execve(2)  or  _exit(2).
       The child shares all memory with its parent, including the
       stack, until execve() is issued by the child.   The  child
       must  not return from the current function or call exit(),
       but may call _exit().

I don't want the parent suspended, so this wouldn't work.

David

--
  ___/ /__ __  __(_)__/ /  David Helder - University of Michigan