Re: Sort-of Announce: Gnet, a network library

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Roberto Zunino wrote:
> If you want you could look at the features of my gnome-socket that are
> missing in Gnet and (possibly) incorporate them in it if it's worth the
> work.
> Basically, it's asynchronous dns lookup (via the adns library) and a
> slightly higher level async network IO (i.e. the library calls
> g_io_add_watch for you when it's necessary).

Yes, async DNS is a weakness in Gnet.  I've glanced at adns.  The license
is a problem.  If I were to implement it (and I probably will), I'd
probably just fork and call gethostbyname.  This probably costs a bit more
than implementing gethostbyname from scratch as adns does, but, hey, at
least I don't have to implement gethostbyname from scratch.

I like your gnome_socket_connect.  In Gnet you would create an InetAddr,
create a TcpSocket, get the GIOChannel for the TcpSocket, and then set up
the callback.  I may add a similar function that combines these steps as
you do.

David

--
  ___/ /__ __  __(_)__/ /  David Helder - University of Michigan