Which editor for C/C++ programming, and more...

Hi,
 first, I introduce myself... My name is Germano Rizzo, I'm a 21 y.o.
italian student in electronic enineery and I'm new in this list...Recently I
passed from KDE to Gnome, and I found it... just great!! :-)) Nice to meet
you all!!

    I don't know if my questions are suitable for this list... if not,
please tell me. Sometimes I make some C program, just for exercise, or
study. Now, using KDE I wrote them in KWrite, that provided two very useful
features: sintax highlighting, and the indication of the number of the row
where the cursor is. Passing to Gnome, I haven't find anything that makes
the same... Now I use Gnotepad+, that, alas, haven't any of these
features... I don't want to use EMACS, 'cause it's too complex... I tried
XCoral, that hassintax highlighting, but still doesn't tell the row
number... Can you advice me for any editor that suits my purposes? Thank you
in advance.

    The second question is just a curiosity: I'm quite new to Linux, so I
don't know the 'inner' aspects of it... I noticed that using the command
'strip' on the executables and library files, they get very smaller... is it
a good idea to do this? Or it will produce instability? Can I compile and
install, say, the various gnome packages with

./configure
make
find ./ -exec strip {}  \
make install

    ? Thanks also for this, any comment will be appreciated... I have plenty
of things to learn... :-))

    Sorry if these are off topic, and for the poor english... <:)
    Best wishes,
        Mano :-))