Re: Which editor for C/C++ programming, and more...

Greetings.

>  first, I introduce myself... My name is Germano Rizzo, I'm a 21 y.o.
> italian student in electronic enineery and I'm new in this list...Recently I
> passed from KDE to Gnome, and I found it... just great!! :-)) Nice to meet
> you all!!

Welcome.:)

> where the cursor is. Passing to Gnome, I haven't find anything that makes
> the same... Now I use Gnotepad+, that, alas, haven't any of these
> features... I don't want to use EMACS, 'cause it's too complex... I tried
> XCoral, that hassintax highlighting, but still doesn't tell the row
> number... Can you advice me for any editor that suits my purposes? Thank you
> in advance.

Editors are a real personal choice.  There are plenty of editors that will
do syntax hilighting.  gIDE might be a good start for you.  It is kind of
like the GNU equivalent of Visual Basic.  You might also consider looking
at www.freshmeat.net there are plenty of good GNOME compatible editor.

My personal favorite is vim/gvim.  However, your mileage my vary.

> don't know the 'inner' aspects of it... I noticed that using the command
> 'strip' on the executables and library files, they get very smaller... is it
> a good idea to do this? Or it will produce instability? Can I compile and
> install, say, the various gnome packages with

The strip command removes the symbol table from the executable.  The only
real result of using the command is that you won't be able to use gdb as
effectively if you want to debug a program.  However if you're using
stable sources this should not be an issue anyways.

>     ? Thanks also for this, any comment will be appreciated... I have plenty
> of things to learn... :-))

Thats part of the fun linux/unix.  It's the only OS I know that is so
complex that you can literally learn something new everyday.  I've been
doing programs on Unix since 1989 and I've always discovered some cool or
interesting command I've never run into before.

>     Sorry if these are off topic, and for the poor english... <:)

No, you're comments were quite understable.  :)

	cheers,
	sri