Re: Request: Test suite for EFS.

Hello Daniel,

>   I afraid you are gonna object that you don't have time to pusue the issue
> that it's too complicated and you have a product to ship. I already got this
> argument for not switching gtkHtml to the libxml/DOM code. I feel concerned
> about this. Until now Gnome was very nice in the sense that people took the
> time to stick to Do The Right Thing even if it was a bit more painful/slower.

Please do not take this position.

As we talked in the past, the GtkHTML code would in the future use
libxml/DOM code.  But this --as usual-- needs a devoted hacker to work
on this.  The work that Ettore is doing is related to add the features
we need and the stability we need to GtkHTML: an existing code base.

But this does not mean that Ettore is the only hacker ever allowed to
touch that code base.  If you want to help with the DOM/libxml effort,
feel free to jump in, and help switching GtkHTML code there.

It is completely absurd to think that we wont ship an HTML engine
because it is not fully DOM enabled.  But if you want to change
things, you can be part of it.

We can sit here for ages designing and implement the perfect system,
while in the real world people choose solutions based on proprietary
software.  Probably for academia (or Federico :-)) it makes sense to
wait until you have everything perfectly done.  But it is just not
possible to negate people GtkHTML because it does not use the DOM.

On the Structured Storage front: I still think storing everything as
XML is highly inneficient.  Why would I want to store my images as
base64, if I can store them directly in the way they have shown up?

How can I address the problems I described before?

You did not reply to my mail on the reasons why libefs made sense, but
you did reply to Nat's "we need ss for Bonobo".

Miguel.