RE: Modest idea

Take a look at http://www.linuxforkids.com this has a lot of games etc.
aimed at kids (surprisingly :) ). It may not answer your requirement for an
environment but it does seem to provide a reference point for the kind of
apps you are talking about. However I haven't gone very deep into the site
so I'll let you form your own opinions.

Mark.
          (For private correspondance contact vipersoft@aol.com)

The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the views of
Nomura International plc. This message is intended for the named
recipients only and must not be copied, distributed or relied upon
by any other party.