Re: getting back into X

On 14 Feb 00, Derek Simkowiak had this to say about Re: getting back into X:

> > To restart your X system type Init 3 <return> then Init 5 <return>
>
> [dereks@localhost dereks]$ Init 3
> bash: Init: command not found
>
> 	(I think he meant "init 3" and "init 5")
>
> 	This would switch you from "runlevel 5", the "X-Window System"
> level, to "runlevel 3", the "Multiuser but no X" level.
>
> 	This would change your runlevel, but it's a much better idea to
> keep your system at runlevel 3 and simply kill X, and then restart it:
>
> killall X
> startx
>
> 	Type "man init" for more documentation about init and runlevels.
>
> 	Unfortunately, these assume you can get to a terminal.  So if you
> have a hardware problem (such as a frozen 3Dfx card or X is flipping out
> because it can't detect a fscking mouse) you're screwed.  Unless, of
> course, you can telnet to your box and shutdown gracefully.

The original post started off something like:  "I had a runaway X
process, so I did Alt-F1 to login to a console and kill the
process..."

To get back from there, you can do Alt-F7 (or maybe Ctl-Alt in some
situations) to return to X.

Steve

Stephen L Arnold                      http://www.rain.org/~sarnold
with Std.Disclaimer;  use Std.Disclaimer;