Re: Host Name Problem

Wow thank you to all who replied.

My problem, I think, is that I am making a mountain out of a mole hill.
When the error message comes up "could not look up internet address
h24...(my IP).  This will prevent gnome from operating correctly..." I am
given an option to continue and when I choose thi option gnome continues on
its merry way and seems to work fine.  I can use netscape and go on the
internet so I believe it is working.

I really should have been more specicfic in that I am concerned about
security, and I want to use postfix and fetchmail and some MUA to handle my
email.  I have been reading Running Linux 3rd ed. by Matt Welsh and the
networking stuff is starting to become less of a fog but he doesn't deal
with DHCP.  My system is a standalone workstation on a cable modem to the
internet.  I have to admit that I am getting lost in the whole hostname
thing.  My main questions are this:

1.  Can I give my computer its own hostname?
2.  If not then where in all the data my ISP provides through DHCP is my
hostname or is it even there?

In reading all the replies I have learned alot so I can not thank you all
enough for taking the time to reply.  I am not a newbie to computers and
even if I do say so myself was quite a DOS wizard when that meant something.
Even with the steep learning curve of  Linux/Unix (for me) I find it quite
exciting to sovle little problems like this.  (yes I am a geekier kind of
guy).

If I see questions in this list that I feel I can answer I will give it my
best shot.

Thanks again

Rik