tools for processing audio waveforms

Hello everyone.

This is my first message to this list, I've enjoyed trying to keep up with all that's happening with Gnome.

I'm wondering if there are any tools that could be compared with Direct-X, especially where input, output, and processing of digital audio signals is concerned within the Gnome architecture. If so, what should I look for to get more technical details? If not, where can I find information about what is available for now in terms of communicating with digital audio input and output devices, (sound cards)?

I am currently looking to the possibility of developing some audio tools for voice accessability to Gnome-based applications.

Thank you.

Keith Creasy
kcreasy telocity com