A couple of question on startup error messages

I've tried to search the mail archives to see if these questions had been answered, but unfortunatly the search engine is down. When I run Gnome apps (I'll use gnorpm as an example), I get two warning messages:

Gdk-WARNING **: local not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Gdk-WARNING **: can not set local modifiers

whith some apps, this is all I get. However, with gnorpm, if I select any of the catagories it displayes, I get this:

GnomeUI_ERROR **: file gnome-icon-item.c: line 304 (get_default_font): assertion failed: (default_font != NULL)
aborting...
Aborted (core dumped)

I can expand/retract the different catagory groups fine. I get the above only when I select an individual group to see what RPM's are in it.

	Any ideas?  Thanks.