Re: does Gnome-terminal have problems ?

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 11:28:12PM +0100 or thereabouts, anvil amin unice fr wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I actually uses ircii as my favorite irc client and i use it with the

Ditto :)

> screen command and I discovered that the scrollbar of gnome-terminal
> does not take care of screen scrolling history.. Xterm does take care
> of it, and i was told that an older version (a 1.0.x) of
> gnome-terminal did it too..

Haven't tried it under screen. There are plenty of remaining
"xterm does it this way; gnome-terminal doesn't" buglets, though,
from skimming bugs.gnome.org

> I'm french but i use a qwerty keyboard and it does't have any accent
> (no é nor à).. With Xterm i had an another way to make accents..
> meta-i does é
> meta-` does à
> etc..
>
> What was my surprise when i discover that gnome-terminal do i if I
> press meta-i.. I want my accents, please do something or tell me how

There are also plenty of bugs about the meta kep being mapped to
what some people consider the wrong thing (and to what some people
consider the right thing, of course... Can't please everyone
simultaneously, apparently).

> to have them but please dont say "use your old xterm" because i
> loooove clicking on url to open netscape :)

Gnome-applets has a lovely little panel applet called "charpicker_applet":
the Gnome Character Picker Applet. (Applets->Utility->Character Picker).)
You left-click (assuming a a right-handed mouse) on the applet, hit the
letter that's most like what you need in order to get all the possibilities,
then left-click on the accented letter you want, move your mouse to
where you want the letter, and middle-click.

I know there are better ways to generated accented letters which do
not require an applet, but I have never managed to get any suggested
way (alt-gr, meta, whatever) to work. This one works. I have a couple
of panels, and charpicker sits on one of them permanently.

Telsa