Re: Xscreensaver problem with contol center

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 10:27:39PM -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> I run Debian Woody which I just upgraded to off a fresh Potato install.  I
> have all the basic Gnome packages installed, AFAIK, as well as Xscreensaver.
> I liked using Gnome's control of that and my monitor's power-down from the
> control center, but I have discovered that the panel for the screensaver
> settings in the control center doesn't exist anymore.  I get a blank when I
> click on "screensaver."
>
> I tried running the screensaver applet from a terminal window but it crashed
> with an initialization error.  Does it _require_ arguments?  Is this the
> proper approach to addressing the blank control center page?

Thank the Debian xscreensaver maintainer.  He decided to make his
package override the GNOME xscreensaver capplet (Control Center
Applet) with the "--crapplet" option to xscreensaver-demo, an
alternative configuration (Jamie Zawinski doesn't believe that users
should see a small version of the screensaver, so he maintains his
own).

Unfortunately, it looks like the Debian maintainer did this while also
compiling xscreensaver without GNOME support.  So 'xscreensaver
--crapplet' just segfaults.  Cute.

The Debian maintainer is Larry Daffner <vizzie airmail net>.  You can
file a bug report at bugs.debian.org.

--
Ian Peters
itp helixcode com