Gnome-fvwm problem

When I logon as root, gnome (latest sources) and
fvwm-2.3.21 both operate smoothly and normally.

Gnome is brought by running gnome-session and
fvwm2 is named as the default window manager.

With an identical setup, logging in as a user, while
succeeding, is not smooth.  The pager, clock and
xload are all duplicated, one each in the buttonbox
and one outside.

It appears as if gnome is trying to start fvwm2 twice,
with only moderate success.  The only error message
i get says "another window manager is running".

I haven't been able to find mention of this problem
in any of the documentation, or on dejanews, or in the
mail archives.  If anyone has an idea about what is going
on, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

John