Re: Gnome-fvwm problem

I have the same problem with Gnome and Afterstep.  Certain Afterstep
applets will load twice and when gnome-session is starting, it will hang
and eventually timeout when trying to start the window manager.  There's
two things you can do to try and resolve the problem...

1)  In the Gnome control center, goto 'Window Managers' capplet.  Select
sawfish and press OK.  When sawfish loads successfully, select your
fvwm2 entry and press OK.  Before restarting your gnome session,
complete the next step.

2)  In the control center, goto 'Startup Programs'.  Then select 'Browse
currently running programs'.  Then you should see entries for the
processes that are duplicating.  Select 'Trash' for these item styles.
This will not delete them from your system... just the session.

After all this, the key is to save your session when logging out of
gnome.  (the checkbox in the logout dialog).  When you start gnome
again... things should work for you.  You dont have to save your session
settings anymore.  If you do, it could start doubling the programs
again.  The problem is that fvwm (just like afterstep) is not fully
gnome compliant.

Hope this helps you.