Re: [gnome-core-1.0.39-10] Daily Crashes

On 31-Aug-00 Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
>> Anyhow, I'm running RHL 6.1 and GNOME crashes daily, is this normal? Is
>> it my install? My install isn't one of my fondest, RHL defaults to
>> eating all of my 32MB RAM when it boots, save ~800KB, and consequently
>> my system caches a lot and is slow. =( But, that's not here nor there.

        Unless you're using an 8-bit Xserver, this may not
be enough RAM. With a 24-bit Xserver, the minimum I feel
comfortable with is 64MB of RAM. This situation isn't going
to get better when you upgrade to the newest GNOME.

> gnome-core-1.0.39-10 is a VERY old version - the current version is
> 1.2.1-0_helix_4. Gnome has made a lot of very substantial advances since
> 1.0.39, not the least of which is a huge increase in stability.

        Helix GNOME might be just the thing. They have a script
that downloads and installs GNOME for you, so unless you want
to go to the trouble of downloading and building the latest
tarballs (GNOME tarballs build as RPMs, you just have to use
the "rpm -tb" command) this is probably the easiest way to
upgrade.

        In addition to gnome-core, you should also upgrade
gnome-libs, ORBit, control-center, Midnight Commander, and
whatever window manager  you're using (probably Enlightenment).
There are probably some other packages you'll need to upgrade,
but I can't recall at the moment. The Helix script will find
and upgrade the appropriate packages automagically, so I'm told.

--
Craig Orsinger                <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>
Logicon Advanced Technology

"'Eureka'. It's Greek for 'This bath's too hot'."   - The Doctor