Re: GMC ignoring user mime info

Juergen Salk wrote:

> * Daniel Lyddy <daniell@cs.berkeley.edu> [000812 19:04]:
>
> > Jurgen:
> >
> > Sorry if I'm beating this to death, but where is this locale information
> > set?
>
> There is more than one way to do it. Try adding 'export LANG=C'
> to your $HOME/.profile and see if it does the trick for you.
>
> Make a backup copy of your $HOME/.gnome/mime-info/user.keys
> before. I have seen that tinkering about with locales may
> cause loss of gnome mime-type definitions in some cases.

Actually on a Mandrake System there is a global locale file called
/etc/sysconfig/i18n that is read by the lang.sh or lang.csh script in
/etc/profile.d (which is in turn executed by either /etc/profile or
/etc/csh.cshrc).

Anyway, I modified this 'i18n" file to change all of the locale settings
to "POSIX," and the end result is that my ~/.gnome/mime-info/user.keys
now has every instance of [en] with [POSIX]!  This did not solve the
original problem, in which I was trying to get gmc to recognize icons
and applications associated with certain mime types.

I could try just setting all those LC_(whatever) locale variables in
/etc/sysconfig/i18n to be blank, and see how my system likes running
with no locale at all.  After seeing a Nautilus demonstration by Eazel
at the LinuxWorld show yesterday, though, I'm starting to think that it
may not be worth the effort to figure out what's wrong with gmc.  It
looks like that program is going to the orphanage to share a bunk bed
with XView.

Dan
--
Daniel Lyddy		daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
California PATH/UC Berkeley Vision Group

It doesn't matter how bad things are.
What matters is whether things will get better.
begin:vcard
n:Lyddy;Daniel
tel;fax:(+1) 510-231-5600
tel;work:(+1) 510-231-5659
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daniell
org:UC-Berkeley/California PATH;ViVE Lab/ATMIS Group
version:2.1
email;internet:daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
title:MSEE
adr;quoted-printable:;;Richmond Field Station=0D=0ABuilding 452=0D=0A1357 S. 46th St;Richmond;CA;94804-4698;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-8480
fn:Daniel Lyddy
end:vcard