Re: feedback

dumas patrice <dumas@rip.ens-cachan.fr> writes:

> First, gnome loads some stuff with sawmill last, but I have to click on
> the screen to open the session and this is quite slow. I think, it would
> be better if it displayed the hint immediately, and then the desktop,
> without having need to click on the logo window nor to close the hint
> window.

This will happen if the session manager starts an application which doesn't
register itself back with the session manager.

> Second, when I first opened the gnome config center, there was no way of
> choosing sawmill as WM, although (I think) it was the one running, and I
> had to add it.
> (note that  I hadn't installed sawmill-gnome at that time. I dunno if the
> same  problem would have arised if sawmill-gnome had been installed at
> that time).

This is one thing included with the sawmill-gnome package.

> Another things I think aren't fine, is that
> I have a panel on the top of the screen, from which I can't change
> properties, and also
> the panels are either always masking the windows, or always under the
> windows. It would be good (IMO), that, for a panel under the other
> windows, a click on it would raise it on the top of the other windows.

Sawmill should not be placing windows under this panel...

> I also think that it would be good if there was some help about the gnome
> session and the management of the session, a way to set properties other
> than to modify the session file.
> Is it possible for example to have different sessions and load one or the
> other, at want ?

gnome-core 1.1.9 has some help about this, actually.  I don't think the
session manager capplet links to it yet (although session-properties does).

> I have another problem, that is that the working directory for almost
> everything was incorrectely set the first time I ran gnome, and I don't
> see an easy way to change it. I think it would be good if it was possible
> to change it from the gnome config center.
>
> I also have a lot of windows without title.
> This could be related to the fact that I always have the following error
> messages :
> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
>
> GnomeUI-WARNING **: Could not open help topics file NULL

You probably don't need to worry about any of these.

Try installing the sawmill-gnome package, it might fix the first three
problems you have, since they are all something that could be effected by
sawmill not running in GNOME mode.

Jacob
--
"Is this love... or just confusion?"  -- Jimi Hendrix