starting applet

I just heard about an interesting kde2 feature that someone might want to
implement in gnome. A while ago, there was a discussion here about trying
to figure out a way for an app once started to notify the user that its
actually starting up and not crashed. We can make a pannel applet that
shows all the apps that are starting and havent shown themselves yet.
Maybe make it look like "|Starting: X X X|" where each X is an animated
icon for the app.