Re: pty & nfs?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Luke Scharf wrote:

> I'm trying to remote-mount my /usr parition(and some others) in order to
> simplify the administration of my 30-odd machine network.
>
> My machines are running RedHat 6.1, intel processors, >=256mb of RAM,
> and 2gb for the Linux partitions.
>
> So far, everything seems to be working as expected, except --
> gnome-terminal gives me an error about "cannot fork" and a dialog box
> saying that there's a problem with the /dev/pty system.
>
> /dev/pty is mounted, and I can telnet to the machine without trouble.

I suspect that this is a problem with NFS mounted set user id programs.
Are the uids and gids the same on all machines?  If not, suid programs
will set user to the wrong user/group.

I think in this case the suspect is /usr/sbin/utempter.  Have a look at
the owner/permissions on the server and check that they are correct on the
client boxes.

yours,

Paul