GMC vs MC

Can someone please answer me this very fundamental question:
I have suse 6.1 if that is relevant, but have not installed the suse
rpms but installed gnome from sources -  a mild trauma but I'm sure it
will be easier next time. Last time I had gnome I had gmc as a file
manager. This time round I can only find mc which gives me a char
version -which I would expect.. If I follow the link to gmc in the gnome
software list, I find the ftp link is broken. Can some one explain to me
how to get the gui gnome midnight commander to work instead of the text
interfaced midnight commander?
Thanks
Glenn