RE: GMC vs MC

On 08-Apr-00 Glenn Davy wrote:
> Can someone please answer me this very fundamental question:
> I have suse 6.1 if that is relevant, but have not installed the suse
> rpms but installed gnome from sources -  a mild trauma but I'm sure it
> will be easier next time. Last time I had gnome I had gmc as a file
> manager. This time round I can only find mc which gives me a char
> version -which I would expect.. If I follow the link to gmc in the gnome
> software list, I find the ftp link is broken. Can some one explain to me
> how to get the gui gnome midnight commander to work instead of the text
> interfaced midnight commander?
> Thanks
> Glenn

        Try running "./configure --help" in the mc source directory.
I seem to remember that there was some command line parameter you
have to set so that the GNOME version of the software is compiled
and installed. Probably, it's the "--with-gnome" flag, but don't
trust my memory.

        I've been using the "rpm -tb" method of building mc for a
few versions now. I had to install docbook to make this work, but
as long as you have that, the current version (4.5.44) can be
compiled in this manner.

Date: 11-Apr-00  Time: 11:01:33

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor